Friday, August 31, 2012

ch-ch-ch-changes

August has been crazy busy.  Yep, that's my excuse for not being on here as much as usual.  But God has been at work in us and with us.  I am almost feeling overwhelmed about what to write here because there are so many things I would like to share, but I don't want to scare anyone off with the length of this blog! It has been a month of change, beginning of transitions, and a time of starting to let go.  To take the steps out of the boat and try to focus on Him and what he asks instead of the waves around us.  We have often failed at that, and after a few moments of panic have had to cry, "Lord, save me!"  And he does.  He was all along.  lovingly, patiently, and perfectly.

So what has been happening?


The beginning of the month was when we candidated a family to come in as the assistant pastor at Troy and the eventually take over Shawn's role as Senior Pastor.  We are so excited about hiring Andy and Beverly.  Yet in reality there were a lot of emotions and "self" that popped up in that whole process. Pride, jealousy, fear, anger, worry, joy  - all flashing together one after another in a matter of moments, then starting all over again.  The hiring of them means that we have taken those steps in Troy to remind people that we are leaving - that Africa is real and our calling there is real.  And that is a mixed bag, honestly.  I LOVE this church family.  They are my close friends and family.  There are relationships there that I know I will carry with me for the rest of my life (I have moved enough to know how to do this) yet I also know that it is not the same as seeing each other several times a week to pray, laugh, hug, and work through life together.  So there is mourning and sadness that way.  Yet excitement because it means we are heading to another season of that in South Sudan, with another team of people.  (Which also brings the junior high worry of ,"Will they like and accept me?"  But that's another blog!)

Right after that happened we came to the decision through a variety of things happening that our time in Schenectady was done even sooner.  Shawn put in his resignation, and at the end of September he will only have the part time job in Troy and fund raising to focus on.  We will also be without a house and half our salary.  Needless to say that has been one of those things that Satan has whispered over and over again in our ears.  Yet through it all I have felt mostly peace - and relief that we can really start to focus on getting to South Sudan.  And, as usual, God is providing.  We have options of housing.  And through those options we have the ability to not have to take another part time job, but to be able to focus on the things we are doing.  Why am I always surprised when this happens?  He is only showing the next step - one at a time, not the whole picture - but he is showing us what we need when we need it.

Then we went on vacation.  And that was pure bliss.  5 days in a row of sleeping in, swimming, reading, playing games with cousins, swimming some more, tubing, fishing, and hanging out with God in stillness and quiet beauty.  (Side note...anyone in this district who is a pastor that is reading this -if you DON'T take the AWM up on staying at the missionary cottage for free, you are nuts!) One of our dear friends (sister, really) came the first night and vacation mode started almost immediately as we kayaked, swam and ate together!  I wasn't ready to come home.



In between all these major steps towards transition there have been those moments that have changed us, also.  Christina and Logan, who have been living with us all summer, moved out and on to Alabama.  Our house has been to quiet and void of baby squeals and Christina jokes.  Going to Walmart is not nearly as fun.  And all our late night talks are deeply missed.  God blessed us with that season of months together with this young woman that is more family than anything else.  It was another goodbye that hurt.

We had a late night prayer walk at the cafe, missed our dear friend who was in Uganda for a few weeks, I had a birthday and got my nose pierced! (Something I have wanted to do since college when I saw one of the coolest people I had ever met at that point had one!)  harvested garden goodies, babysat for a friend, and just did life.


We called on you all to pray for us this week, and have been humbled by the numbers of you that are!  I will write more about that after the week is over and let you know how God is using your prayers!

Tonight we have our welcome back picnic at the Troy church.  There will be music, food, games, fun, laughter - and hopefully more than a few new faces!  It is my last big "hurrah" as far as planning things in Troy.  It will be a long day, but a fun one. And I will keep packing up the house into piles of "keep", "save", "Africa??", and "What-in-the-world-do-we-do-with-this?"  Thanks, God.  It's an amazing ride.  

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you all! It never ceases to amaze me how when we step out in faith *without* seeing how God will provide, He always shows up! Exciting times ahead for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete