Tuesday, April 3, 2012

being made whole in eucharisteo

This weekend Shawn's brother and sister in law and their girls are coming to visit and we are so excited! We are also getting the house cleaned up. And not just the usual cleaning - but the deep cleaning/organizing thing. Maybe I have been bitten by the "spring cleaning" bug because the weather this winter was so mild. But I now have organized closets and several huge bags of clothes to go to the clothing bin at the church.

I feel like I have been "spring cleaning" in myself lately, too. I know that is an overused expression, but that's how it feels! I have been meditating on the verses in 1 Thessalonians 5 that say, "Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Jesus Christ."

I have been very convicted with these verses. As you all know, I have been reading the book, "One thousand Gifts" and because of that I have been putting into practice choosing to be thankful. But I always thought of it as something that was good for me, or something that might make my life more joyful - not as extreme as it being God's actual will and desire for my life. I am a person who thinks that God's will in our lives has a lot more to do with character, relationship with him, and choices than with where we go to college, what we do for a living, or if we make fish or chicken for dinner. I think that when we are seeking God whole-heartedly, communicating (especially listening) to him, and guarding our hearts - then these other things are areas where he can and will be glorified regardless of circumstances. But I never thought of giving thanks and rejoicing as part of that whole-heartedness. Prayer? Yes, of course, but thankfulness? In all circumstances? This has turned my world upside down.

So I am experimenting with this this...chewing on this thought and watching it play out in my daily life. I am asking God to reveal this to me in ways that I can't deny or explain. And he has been answering that prayer with resounding results in my heart and head. More on this later, as I figure out how to put words around it more tangibly.

Meanwhile, today's joy dare challenge from Ann Voskamp? 3 gifts surprisingly found...Let me hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment