Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving

As I sit in my in law's house smelling the turkey cooking, listening to the kids playing, and feeling content it is easy to give thanks and to genuinely feel thankful. However, just a few minutes ago I was playing the piano and I came across "Blessed Be Your Name." The songs talks about choosing to praise God and be thankful for who he is regardless of circumstances. "Blessed be your name on the road marked with suffering, when there's pain in the offering, blessed be your name." It goes on to say, "You give and take away, my heart will choose to say blessed be your name." That is not me. Not naturally anyway. I can see how quickly I go from "Blessed be your name" to "woe is me!" There is no thanksgiving in the times that I am sick and in pain. No praising him when the car is not working again. No offering up thanks to God for his sovereignty and grace when the kids are struggling with their faith or feeling hurt and unloved. No easy blessings come from my mouth when I am facing uncertainty in the future and can't understand how things will play out. Instead I often offer questions, self pity, whining, and mistrust.
But I am thankful that God knows it is my desire to be a person of true thankfulness and praise. He loves me despite my falleness and selfishness. In fact, because I can see these things in me and still can be sure of God's love for me, I understand better how true thankfulness can be a part of my life! And the opportunity to run into his arms and bask in his love is reason enough to be thankful each and every moment. Now if I could just remember that...

No comments:

Post a Comment