Friday, October 7, 2011

Where the Spirit of the Lord is

On Wednesday night at Compelled the Spirit moved in our small group in a way He had not yet done.  There was openness, honesty, tears, repentance, forgiveness, prayer, and confession.  There were hugs, love, acceptance, and laughter.  There was freedom.

God has freed me in my life and  I have sensed this year that he wants me to really start sharing this freedom with others.  There was a time in my life when I couldn't stay alone without going into panic attacks.  For many years I was so terrified of the dark that I slept with the TV or some other source of light on.  I feared things in the spiritual realm in ways that were unhealthy because I believed a bunch of lies.

God has set me free of those things!  The last year I have felt that God was impressing on me the idea of steadfastness and perseverance.  Recently the word that comes to mind when I am talking with people, praying, or meditating on his word is freedom.

Do you know how many people I come across each day that are in slavery and bonds to something?  I am not just talking about people who do not have a relationship with Jesus - there are just as many Christ followers out there who have a guarantee of heaven, but earth is simply one day after another of drudgery and bondage.  Slavery to busyness, selfishness, anxiety, desire for things of this world, fear, finances, sex, pleasure - you name it.  It doesn't even have to be a bad thing in and of itself.  But if it keeps your relationship with Christ from flourishing, it is something that needs to be looked at.  I feel like my eyes have been opened and I want to just shout, "Wake up, oh child of the King!  Do you realize what you are forfeiting by allowing yourself to live as though you are that person that you were before you believed?"

As we were praying the other night I just kept calling out to the Spirit to start revealing those areas in each of us where we are in slavery and to start to bring healing and freedom.  My heart soared as these women prayed for and wept over each other.  They laid hands on each other and proclaimed freedom and healing and wholeness in the name of Jesus Christ.  And then they believed that what they prayed for was answered.

This week I have already received many emails and calls from these women who are in awe of the way that God is answering those prayers - and I am reminded that this gospel that I am preaching, the very good news that I am proclaiming really IS true!  Regardless of how I feel, what the circumstances are, and in all times it is true - but I am so thankful for this glimpse into what He sees!  A little bit of understanding of the fact that it really will all play out the way he plans and it is for our good and His glory. (I often need to preach this to myself - or listen as Shawn reminds me!)

There is a Chris Tomlin song that goes like this:

"We know where the Spirit of the Lord is
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty
We know living in Your freedom
Living in Your freedom we see Your glory
We know where the Spirit of the Lord is
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty
We're Yours and Yours is the Kingdom
We are Yours, and Yours is the Kingdom"

We want your freedom and your liberty, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment