Sunday, June 12, 2011

fragrant

I am sitting here smelling the delicious scent of Cornell BBQ chicken wafting through the sliding glass doors as my hubby is slaving away over the grill! ;)  It reminds of our theme this year for Alliance Women which is "Simply Fragrant!"  I was thinking about smells I like and why I like them.  Some of them are just simply enjoyable smells - the chicken (or anything on the grill!) for example!  I love the smell of Dove soap because it takes me back to my great-grandmother's house where I always felt loved and safe.  The smell of chocolate is a happy smell...I think living near the Hershey Chocolate World would be a fantastic thing!  I love the smell of the body mist I get from Bath and Body- and Shawn loves that smell on me!  The smell of freshly cut grass alludes to beautiful summer days.  And sometimes I will even put sunblock on in the middle of the winter just to close my eyes and pretend it is nice out! 
Other smells are not necessarily "good" smells, but they make me remember or think of good things!  This weekend our DS (there's another acronym - for District Superintendent) told us that he liked the smell of cow manure because he grew up in farm country!  I also like the feeling that is evoked from driving through the country and passing farms and fields!  The smell may not be something I would seek after, but the feeling that comes from that smell is one of "home!"  The smell of diesel makes me think of our time in other countries and the crazy traffic.  Though I didn't enjoy the pollution from the fumes, I did love life there!  The smell of Aussie shampoo or Aqua Net hairspray make me think of some really fun times in high school with some crazy big hair!
We played a game this week at the training and one of the questions that was asked was "If you had to lose one sense, what would it be?"  Smell was the common one, and I certainly would have answered it at the time.  But when I realized how much scent is connected with good memories and mood for me I thought that maybe my answer would have to change! I don't think I would want to lose that "instant flashback" ability!
I think that God is going to use the theme verse for AWM in my own life this year as I work through what it means to be a fragrance to this world.  And how often am I a good, pleasing, unique aroma as opposed to a rotting stench?  2 Corinthians 2:14b and 15 says, "God uses us to spread His knowledge everywhere like a sweet-smelling perfume.  Our offering to God is this:  We are the sweet smell of Christ among those who are being saved and among those we are being lost."  (NCV)  My prayer is that I will exude the aroma and beautiful fragrance of Christ.  So what about you?  I am interested to know:  what are some aromas that you love?  And how are you spreading the fragrance of Christ to those around you?

No comments:

Post a Comment